THE ALIEN TRAIL
Runtime: 20 minutes
Directors: Nicolas Iordanou & Sylvia Nicolaides
Director of Photography: Nicolas Iordanou
Editing: Sylvia Nicolaides & Nicolas Iordanou
Sound: Sylvia Nicolaides
Music: Tony Anderson, Moby
European Capital of Culture Pafos 2017
A documentary following four photographers who captured with their lens the migrant and refugee population in the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. Photographers Antoine d'Agata, Nicolas Iordanou, Bieke Depoorter and Nikos Economopoulos give their own testimony, share their experience and ethical dilemmas on how to document from their perspective, the migrant/refugee crisis.
Best Intercultural Dialogue Award - Social Machinery Film Festival, Palermo, Italy 2018
- Seattle Transmedia & Independent Film Festival Seattle, U.S.A.
- Social Machinery Film Festival Palermo, Italy
- Riverside International Film Festival California, U.S.A
- San Antonio Independent Film Festival San Antonio, Ecuador
- Festival de Largos y Cortos de Santiago Santiago, Chile
- Tryon International Film Festival Tryon, North Carolina, U.S.A.
- (In)Justice for All Film Festival Chicago, U.S.A.
- Gallup Film Festival Gallup, New Mexico, U.S.A.
- Refugees Welcome Film Festival Berlin, Germany
- International Festival of Archaeological, Ethnographic and Historical Documentary and Culture (AEI - CineFest) Nicosia, Cyprus
- Commffest Global Community Film & Arts Festival, Toronto, Canada
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Alien Trail is a European Capital of Culture Pafos 2017 project created by Nicolas Iordanou, in order to bring awareness of the refugee and migrant population in Cyprus usually coming from areas of conflict and strife and to promote their acceptance and integration into the Cypriot society.
Four photographers were invited to document the lives of refugees and migrants. Magnum Photographers Antoine d’Agata (France), Bieke Depoorter (Belgium), Nikos Economopoulos (Greece) and Cypriot photographer Nicolas Iordanou, wondered in neighbourhoods where they live, visited the reception center for asylum-seekers in Kofinou and spent time in their homes getting to know them by listening to their stories, dreams and aspirations. Through their photographs, they show their untold stories, through their art they try to contribute in achieving social inclusion.
The Alien Trail project also includes a publication of a photographic book, a film workshop with migrant, refugee and Cypriot children and a documentary directed by Nicolas Iordanou and Sylvia Nicolaides.