Sylvia Nicolaides is a filmmaker – member of a filmmaking duo with Nicolas Iordanou and a video artist. She is a Berlinale Talents alumna (Berlin 2019 and Sarajevo 2020), a member of the committee of the Directors Guild of Cyprus and one of the directors of the Paphos International Film Festival in Cyprus.
She received her Bachelor’s Fine Arts Degree from Chelsea College of Art and Design (University of the Arts) in London and her Master’s Degree in Audio-Visual Studies in the Film and Television Academy (FAMU) in Prague, Czech Republic.
Her first film titled ‘About Us’ premiered at the International Short Film Week Regensburg in Germany and her first documentary titled ‘Cementography’ was purchased by the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation (CyBC).
Her films has been screened in several international film festivals and awarded with the Jury’s Award at the 33rd Alexandria Mediterranean Film Festival in Egypt and at the 3D Korea Film Festival in Seoul. Her documentary ‘Soma & Lil’ which was in collaboration with the European Capital of Culture Aarhus 2017 in Denmark, has been presented and competed in more than 20 international film festivals including the 19th PÖFF Black Nights Film Festival in Estonia, and has been awarded with two Best Film Awards and one Audience Award.
In 2017 she was invited as a guest artist/filmmaker at the European Film College in Ebeltoft Denmark, where she worked with the students in the production of a major project during their Art Week.
She has collaborated with the European Capital of Culture Pafos 2017 in Cyprus, through which she has curated a photography exhibition titled ‘The Alien Trail’ with photographers from the Magnum Photo Agency and directed a short documentary with the same title.
As a video artist she participated in several group art exhibitions and art residencies both in Cyprus and abroad. In 2013 she participated in the exhibition ‘Catharsis/Rebirth’ in Paphos, Cyprus and co-directed a short film presentation from it, which was selected and presented in the Louvre Museum in Paris as part of the Michelangelo Pistoletto’s exhibition ‘Annee Un – Le Paradis Sur Terre’.
Her 3D video art ‘Airground’ had been presented in more than 10 3D film festivals and 3D conferences and has been presented as a 3D art installation at the CURRECTS International New Media Festival in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
In 2015 she participated at the 9th Delhi International Arts Festival in India, where she has presented the visual concert ‘Collapse’ which was in collaboration with animators and classical musicians.
2012 - 2014 Academy of Performing Arts (AMU), Prague
Film and Television Faculty (FAMU)
Master of Audio - Visual Studies
2007 - 2010 University of the Arts, London
Chelsea College of Art and Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts
2006 - 2007 University of Exeter, UK
Master of Visual Arts in Education
2002 - 2006 University of Cyprus, Nicosia
Bachelor of Education Sciences
- Best Cinematography Award 'Amalgamation' - International Short Film Festival of Cyprus (ISFFC), Cyprus
- Audience Award 'Soma & Lil' - Copenhagen Jazz Film Festival, Denmark
- Best Intercultural Dialogue Award 'The Alien Trail' - Social Machinery Film Festival, Palermo, Italy
- Special Jury Prize 'Common Ground' - 33rd Alexandria Mediterranean Film Festival, Egypt
- Best Music Short Film 'Soma & Lil' - Queen City Film Festival, Maryland, U.S.A.
- Best Short Documentary 'Soma & Lil' - Ishinomaki International Film Festival, Ishinomaki, Japan
Best Short Fiction Film 'Salvador' - GreenspaceNYC - Films on Sustainability, New York, U.S.A.
Jury's Special Prize 'Airground' - 3D Korea International Film Festival, Seoul, Korea
FILM SUMMITS / ARTIST RESIDENCIES
2020 - 2021
- Talents Sarajevo, Sarajevo International Film Festival, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- the.Yard.20 Artist Residency, Center of Performing Arts MITOS, Old Vinegar Factory, Limassol, Cyprus
- Berlinale Talents, Berlin Film Festival, Germany
- EA.2 Exhibitions / Element.a Artists Residency - Art Seen - Contemporary Art Projects & Editions, Nicosia, Cyprus - Curated by Chrystèle Moulun Casanova
- the.Yard.11 Artist Residency, Center of Performing Arts MITOS, Old Vinegar Factory, Limassol, Cyprus